For a few months now I’ve been making homemade pizza dough for our weekly pizza nights. The other day I tried a new combination of topping and I think I may never go back: pear & gorgonzola pizza (with carmelized pears & onions, and even a handful of spinach leaves). It is SO YUM, I made it for my girlfriends on Saturday and it was a hit — not a single topping was left. The pizza dough recipe I have is amazing as well, it doesn’t require a stand mixer and the dough rises in about 15 minutes. Recipe for the homemade dough coming soon!
PEAR & GORGONZOLA PIZZA (yields 2 – 12″ pizzas)
2 pears, peeled & sliced thin
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 oz. of Gorgonzola cheese
2 handfuls of fresh spinach (1 per pizza)
1. Preheat oven to 425˚F.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan, then add sliced onion, pear, and balsamic vinegar.
3. Caramelize all ingredients for about 8-10 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
4. Place half of the raw pizza dough on a greased cookie sheet. Then use your fingers to spread it out evenly so it’s about 1/3″ thick. Repeat for the second pizza.
5. Add half of the pear/onion mix to the pizza dough, arrange some fresh spinach leaves on top, then sprinkle with half the Gorgonzola cheese crumbles. Repeat for the second pizza.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese has fully melted.
Tip: use a pre-cooked pizza dough or flat bread in place of of raw pizza dough.