{spicing things up — adding a few *new* crafts to my life}

Yay — it’s Friday, so that means just a few more hours until the weekend {when I can really get to crafting}! This last week has been filled with more crafts than normal ~ BUT I LOVE IT! On Saturday Mary and I went to Jo-Anns, Michaels and Target looking for fun supplies. And I have to add… I have quite the collection now! Since then I’ve been embroidering and finger knitting {click here for a DIY tutorial on how to finger knit} and soon I’ll be painting with stencils on mugs, making a winter wreath for our front door and making my own candles. Being in a craft store is basically like being inside a toy store –wink! Right Mary…? hah!

Sunday morning I made “eggs in a basket” aka: eggs in a frame, eggs in a nest, toads in a hole, one eyed egyptians {according to your comments on Instagram}. So yummy! Then later that afternoon Zack and I decorated our house for Christmas and now reds, silvers and greens fill the house. Loooove!

Then yesterday I attended a happy hour/craft night at a local gift shop with Anna at Paper Hat Co, located at 2309 W. 50th Street Minneapolis, MN 55410 — stop in if you’re a local! Greta taught us how to make the cutest paper Christmas trees out of an old magazine!!! I’m now obsessed and want to find a few smaller magazines to make a little tree collection for my office :]

That’s it for the new crafts in my life, whew!

PS. Working on new projects has totally lifted my spirits. This chilly winter weather {ummm, it was 5˚F last night} has kept me inside a bit more but cozy-ing up with pretty embroidery floss and a fun pattern has made all the difference. Yeow!

SHARE WITH US: What DIY crafts are you working on? What are your favorite tools, mediums or projects? What do you dream about making?
XO

life rearranged

Comments

Those paper trees are so neat! :) I love that they are recycled!

5˚F??? Um, no thanks! I will stick with my 30 degree winters down here in the south! :)

Gussy Sews Reply:

HA HA — right?????

however, the chilly weather means cute slippers, long john pajamas and lots of coffee + tea. perfection, right?! ;)

Love those trees! Think Greta would be willing to do a guest blog post with a tutorial for us ;)

I’m up to my ears in holiday crafts right now (and loving it). I’m working on a giant crochet blanket for my boyfriend (1 square to go and some trim!), I’m making a “box of appreciation” (lots of cards saying all the things I appreciate about him in a box with little stocking stuffers) for my Dad, and an at home spa day (including homemade sugar body rub, face mask, and spa day food) for my Mom! I LOVE making handmade presents.

Thanks for asking Maggie! I love seeing what other readers are doing by readint your comment section!

Gussy Sews Reply:

LOVE those gift ideas! do you have any links to share for inspiration? would love to see what you’re working on :]

Totally agree with you that those stores are like toy shops! I love your blog, I have attempted to make my own bag that looks like the “diaper bag” in your shop- posting pics up tonight!

These are great crafts!! I’m doing a lot of knitting lately. I am making a lot of winter headbands for my etsy shop and some coffee sleeves and cowls for the shop and for fun!! And while I love winter, I agree with Skye…I’ll stick with my southern temps. 46F right now! :)

heyy
    im super new to the world of crafting
    but i just finished up a very small little cupcake cross stitch haha. it was a kiddie version.
    and then i made some wooden signs (hand painted/stenciled) for my grandparents for Christmas.
    I looove to paint I’ve discovered. :)
    -Jessica

Gussy Sews Reply:

aww — i bet your cross stitch is adorable!!! send me a pic, would love to see! :]

I’ve got to check out the finger knit tutorial! :o)

I’ve noticed my hometown has a lack of crafty goodness… may be I need to start something! ;o)

I LOVE the paper trees!! And really love the garland on your tree! Beautiful!

I really like DIY’s…the trees are awesome. I liked ‘em so much I pinned them on Pinterest.

My DIY projects involve art software. I design for t-shirts, mugs,baby bibs, and such….adding new stuff every few days…so far :-)

Love the embroidery hoop! Those slippers look so comfy too!! :) We call them egg in a hole… I’ve never made them but my husband used to have them every day growing up. :)

A wonderful, magical toy store that only adult women understand the gravitational pull of!
    You have so many cute projects – I can’t wait to see your finished products. :)

I made the book/ magazine trees the other night with my mom and LOVEd how they turned out- I used a copy of an old book, but I really like yours with the colored pages.
    Happy Friday!

Gussy Sews Reply:

i bet an old book made a GORGEOUS tree…!

at the gift shop i was at last night they had cute pinwheels made from old books, tied together with red string! so sweet.

Most of my holiday crafts are on my blog, http://buttonwoodcottage.blogspot.com. I won’t have photos of handmade presents until after the holiday :( because my family reads my blog :) But there are a few sneaky photos of Shane’s blanket on Instagram – [buttonwoodcottage].

I took a few of my holiday gift ideas from this post over on Design*Sponge http://www.designsponge.com/2011/11/2011-gift-guides-skip-the-stores-use-your-hands.html. That’s how I found the recipe for the sugar body scrub.